Self-confidence vs self-esteem.
LISTEN TO BROTHER DAVY PREACH
Service Notes For Sunday Texas 2014-02-16
- Richard D Eutsler, Sr. (Davy)
- Numbers 11:1, Ephesians 6:1, Colossians 3:17-25, Hebrews 13:17, Luke 16:10-12, 1 John 2:6, John 11:41
- What is the difference between “Confidence” and “Self-esteem”? Self-esteem is all about you, your flesh, your feelings, what you want. It has nothing to do with reality, it just has to do with a bunch of feelings.
- Confidence is tangible, it’s based on track record. If you have confidence in playing the piano it’s built over time by playing the piano.
- A good example of self-esteem is America’s Got Talent. When they are told they can’t sing they are shocked.
- The church is full of self-esteem but no confidence. Self-esteem talks about it, confidence does it.
- If you say you are in Jesus, a part of his body, then you ought to walk as Jesus walked.
- How did Jesus walk? He walked in the full assurance and confidence of His heavenly Father.
- Jesus purposefully showed up late to Lazarus’ tomb so he could show the power of God.
- Jesus knew the Father heard His prayers. How did Jesus walk – he walked to please the Father, he walked to show the Father, he walked to glorify the Father. And because of his purpose he knew the Father always heard him, and he showed it when he turned and said Lazarus come forth, and Lazarus came out. That’s confidence.
- Does God hear your prayers? Show me.
- It says in His Word they that believe on him will do the works that he does.
- It says in His Word if you believe the gospel and you’re baptized you shall be saved but you’re going to do these works, they’ll follow you.
- How to get from self-esteem to confidence? Prayer. You pray. You may have to pray a lot. Pray those things you know God will hear, you know God will listen to.
- You pray that he gives you a mind that is hungry for his word.
- You pray that he gives you a heart set to do his will.
- You pray that you will have a focus in serving him.
- You pray that God give you His love that you may love others.
- These are things the Word says God hears and he does. God is going to answer the prayers that please him. You pray the things that God wants you to have, that glorify him, and he will give them to you.
- Then you start obeying, you start obeying his Word and you start stepping out.
- Perfect love casts out fear. When you’re in public talking to a waitress and she’s having a bad day and she says she has a terrible headache, do you say let me pray for? Why don’t you? You’re afraid it won’t work, it will make you look bad. You don’t care about God and you don’t care about that person, you care about yourself.
- But if your heart’s right and you’re seeking to show love then you say give me your hand let me pray for you and you say Lord Jesus, take this headache from her and heal her right now in Jesus’ name. And when she’s healed, you have confidence, because you have prayed the prayer He wants and you’ve overcome fear.
- Over time this will build and build and build and one day, without realizing it, you will find you are walking it as he walked.
- Confidence in God, confidence in His Word, confidence in His mercy, confidence in His love, confidence in His grace.
- In no place any of us mentioned. We are to have no confidence in ourselves. If we were to say we had confidence in ourselves it is confidence to screw it up.
- Confidence rests in the Lord Jesus Christ and God the Father and His Holy Spirit. That is where our confidence lies and we need to build upon it continuously.
- If you have received Christ, then you can hold onto that word where Jesus says I won’t leave you, I won’t forsake you.
- Have you ever felt left? Ever felt forsaken? Ever felt like a brass roof over your head and your prayers can’t get through? That’s where faith comes in. That brass roof is a lie, you are believing with your flesh not with your spirit.
- When you believe with your flesh there’s a brass roof, when you believe with your spirit there’s the throne room of God and you can walk into that room as though you belong there, because you do.